Monday, March 14, 2011

Maybe not the best decision I've ever made...

Tonight I decided to go full stupid and go to back to back group ex classes.  Monday nights are "Tony's night" in spin, and I've only ever heard stories about his workouts.  Tonight I managed to actually make it to his class, but not before attending what turned out to be "circuit night" at bootcamp.  Oy.  Good news though!  I survived!  That makes the rest of the week an easy slide on into the weekend, since Monday is the hardest day for back to backs.

Tomorrow night is another spin, with Christina (my mentor, who I adore).  We're doing some periodization right now, and last week was the last week of endurance...so my aerobic base is built and ready to be strengthened!  Hooyah!  It's funny, I'm starting to find that I'm actually having a hard time *not* controlling my heartrate anymore.  Tonight's spin was rough.  A lot of jumps, and pretty much the whole time was out of the saddle.  But I compulsively kept my heartrate around 80% the whole time, letting it slip up to 85% only during jumps.  During recoveries, I was shocked to find I was back down to below 60% within a minute, without even trying.  Before I got certified to instruct (in November), I'd never paid any attention to my heart rate or what it was doing while I was working out.  I can honestly say I will *never* train without a monitor again!  I may workout without one from time to time, but as far as actual *training* goes, I'm a believer. 

In any case, I'm off my soap box.  I have a strength profile I'm stoked about, and I'm building a playlist around the theme "pick your battles".  I'm looking for any kind of music that's focused on fighting a battle...so far this is how it looks:
This Is War - 30 Seconds To Mars
Bulletproof - La Roux
Uprising - Muse
Don't Give Up - Chicane
This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race - Fall Out Boy
Take On Me - Reel Big Fish
Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
Maneater - Nelly Furtado
Fighter - Christina Aguilera
Battle Without Honor Or Humanity - Tomoyasu Hotei
Top Gun Techno
We Will Rock You - Queen
We Are The Champions - Queen
Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Mashup Green Day vs. Oasis
Red Warrior - The Last Samurai


I won't lie...I love every song on there, but I'm not crazy about the order.  I'm also not convinced Maneater belongs on this list, but it filled the time with the appropriate tempo.   Thoughts?  What's your favorite "battle" song?  What takes you into the fight screaming your head off?  Lately, my favorite has been 30 Second to Mars' Hurricane (with Kanye West), but that's sort of a personal song, not really one for class. Do you have songs like that? 

2 comments:

  1. How do you like:
    New Divide (Linkin Park)
    Burn it to the ground (Nickelback)
    The Hell Song (Sum 41)
    Headstrong (Trapt)
    Better Run (Tocadisco)
    boom boom pow KUNG FU (K.Flay)
    Shout 2000 (Disturbed)
    Blow me away (Breaking Benjamin)
    Paralyzer (Finger 11)
    I don't have to try (Avril Lavigne)

    These are some of the songs I keep on my work out playlist, I'm not so sure if they're quite what you're looking for, but I hope it helps! (in some way shape or form)

    I also know some of our (Nichols') athletics teams warm up to Basshunter's music, stuff like:
    I can walk on water, I can fly
    walk on water (extended mix)
    plane to spain
    im so in love with you
    without stars
    etc..
    good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mai! This is a great list! I'll add them to the rotation :-)

    ReplyDelete