Friday, December 2, 2011

Culture Shock

At some point in the last 5 years, I became a New Englander. Not sure when that happened, but now that I'm out of New England for the weekend (more on that in a second), it's really apparent. The biggest difference? Religion. Now, I'm not about to start telling you what I believe (and I DEFINITELY won't tell you what you should believe), but there's definitely an openness about faith out here that doesn't really seem to exist in New England. I think the absence of religious conversation is partly a desire to be PC, but mostly...we just mind our own business. At least that's how I see it.

It's ironic, since the whole reason New England became a thing is because of religion...but I guess over the years somewhere along the line we stopped talking about it. I'm ok with that, for a number of reasons...mainly, and quite honestly, I don't actually know 100% what I believe. I feel like I'd rather spend time in this life being decent to others than trying to figure out what the after life holds for any of us. Seems like a waste of time since no one has empirical proof either way. But like I said, I'm not here to talk about that.

What's bizarre to me is going to Kroger at 11 at night and hearing Christian rock on the overhead. It's not offensive, just...strange.

ALL that said, I actually really like it here.

Oh right. I'm in Indianapolis. I came out for an interview...not a job interview, a school interview. Have I mentioned that? I've been taking crazy classes all summer/fall so that I can go back to school to become a physical therapist.

Kat's out of the bag. (That's funny because my name is Kat...did anyone who hasn't emailed me know that?)

So yeah. Applications have all been in for a couple of months. Today was my first official interview at U Indy. They said they'd let us know before Christmas break, which starts the 18th I think. No big deal, but that's like 2 weeks from now. Yikes.

I've got a couple other applications out as well, but the only other place I've heard anything officially from is Franklin Pierce, which is in NH. They've moved my application forward a couple times (they don't do official interviews) and I've visited the campus (3rd floor of an office building in Concord, NH), but I won't hear from them officially until end of January. Blerg.

So that's where I'm at. I've been hesitant to post anything publicly about this for a couple reasons...one, until this weekend I really wasn't terribly confident that I'd get in anywhere. I'm still not saying I'm a shoe-in, but after realizing how hot a statistical commodity I am as a non-traditional student, I feel a little better about things. Two, I haven't really told my boss. Gym boss or real job boss. I probably won't tell either of them until I know for sure which school I'm going to (so...February sometime I guess). There's really no point. None of the schools I've applied to are ones that are clear-cut "first choice" schools...they all have merits and pitfalls...so I don't know for sure if/when I'd need to leave either job. Until then, I plan on doing both jobs to the best of my ability so there's really no impact on either job until I leave. That said, enough people at work know by now that I'm sort of over trying to cover it up so much.

SO that's what's up. And now you know.

Oh, my Monday night class is cancelled, which isn't surprising. But I still have Tuesdays and Wednesdays and all the subbed classes in between. Which includes the morning of New Year's Eve, now that I'm thinking of it. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Oooh crossing all digits for successful applications for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a midwesterner I can tell you the christian talk is everywhere all the time. The question isn't IF you go to church, but WHERE you go to church. Although, I was born and raised here I do not follow nor tolerate this well. I don't go to church and I don't believe Christian music should be playing in the office or other public places. The same goes to any other religious music.

    Okay, off my soap box. Good luck with getting into a school. I hope you have a choice of multiple places and enjoy wherever you go.

    ReplyDelete