Saturday, October 8, 2011

Tabata Saturday

I won't lie, I was a little bit hoping not to have to teach today. It's low 70s and not a cloud in the sky, and my class was at 10 am. No one was going to come. But as it turned out, 5 people were crazy enough to come anyway, so we did a pretty great ride that ended with one of the participants telling me "usually I have some reserves left at the end of class...not today."

So this awesome ride (which I'm sad to say I won't be able to ride again until next week since I'm not teaching Wednesday night...stupid day job) went like this:

5 minutes warm up
3 minutes 30s in saddle/30 s out
3 minutes 15 in 15 out
1 minute contemplate the Tabata
2 minutes TABATA
2 minutes recovery

3 minutes 30s in saddle/30 s out
3 minutes 15 in 15 out
1 minute contemplate the Tabata
3 minutes TABATA
2 minutes recovery

3 minutes 30s in saddle/30 s out
3 minutes 15 in 15 out
1 minute contemplate the Tabata
4 minutes TABATA
5 minutes cool down

In case you haven't heard of them, Tabata intervals go like this: 8 intervals of 20 seconds all-out intensity exercise followed by 10 seconds of rest. Sounds simple enough right? You can do them using any exercise you want, you just need to make sure you're out of breath by the end of each 20 seconds.


It's crazy hard. By the end of the last 4 minutes, we were all dying, but it was WONDERFUL.

I'm gonna go eat now.

1 comment: