Friday, January 13, 2012

Let me rephrase

Last night's post wasn't nearly as eloquent as I'd hoped it would be.



The bottom line is that I got to thinking about how becoming a personal trainer isn't just a hobby career...it may never be my main job (let's face it, until I'm selling my soul to train Biggest Loser contestants, it simply won't pay all the bills), but it'll always be a passion for me. I love working out, and I love being an inspiring factor in what makes other people work out.



The problem is, in order to be an effective trainer, I need to be as committed to the process as the client is. If I can't guarantee that I'll be here to help them progress in a year, it doesn't seem fair to start a relationship that's based on the idea that the results are long term rather than immediate. If I can't tell a person that, assuming all things remain within a standard deviation of "the same", I'll be journeying with them at least 6 months from now, it feels a little like leading someone on. I've never been good at letting things play out in relationships - if I know I'm not in it 100%, I tend to be honest about it, to a fault, and end up ripping off the bandaid now rather than later. So knowing that I may be moving in 7 months or less makes me want to hold off on building those relationships, if not for my sake then for the sake of anyone who might start trusting me with their fitness goals.

I feel really arrogant saying it like that, but it's the truth - as a trainer, I'd be hired to be a trustworthy source of information, inspiration, and consistency. If I can't provide even one of those things, I shouldn't be putting myself in a position to be hired.

That said, I want to learn all the tools I'll need when I can put myself in that position, so that I'm the best I can be when the time comes.


1 comment:

  1. I think you have the right attitude. A big part about training with me is having trust in my trainer. I was talking to him last night, and he was putting a 95lb barbell in my hands, that I trust him 100% to catch it if I falter. I have zero doubt. And that kind of trust doesn't happen immediately.

    ReplyDelete