Monday, May 23, 2011

Pirates and Bike Rides

It was a good weekend.  An old friend came up from NYC to visit and watch Pirates of the Caribbean 4 with me.

Rrrrooowwww.
It's embarrassing how much I was looking forward to this movie.  And how much, in retrospect, I loved it. I read some reviews on Rotten Tomatoes before going...I honestly can't believe it's only getting a 33%. It wasn't as good as the original, but it was still fun!  And!  It turns out I've been very wrong about mermaids this whole time.

THEY HAVE FANGS!  And apparently they have Spiderman-esque web-making powers, but, you know, with kelp. Yup, didn't see that coming at ALL. I was a little surprised they let her keep her voice at one point, but I won't spoil which point.

I did like the twist they put on the fountain of youth, but I won't spoil it.  I will say, I hope there's a director's cut, because it did feel like there were a lot of gaping holes in the stories, like where entire scenes had been cut out. I'll definitely be buying it when it comes out, but I guess now that I'm writing it out, I can see why it's getting bummerific reviews.  Oh well.  I'd still run off with Captain Jack given the chance. :-D Sorry, hubs.

Anyway.

Sunday was a nasty day out, all cold and drizzly. Which is why I was making this face:
PedalHubs made me go for a bike ride with him, to train for that silly little century ride we're doing in a few weeks.  I was not a happy camper until about half a mile into the ride a woman stopped at a light, just so she could tell me she loved my socks.  Those are the socks I've been wearing on race days (minus TM) since HIGH SCHOOL.  I'll have to see if I can find a picture of that somewhere.  I think I've been rocking basically the same race day hairdo since then too (ok, the pom poms were up a little higher back then) so that should be entertaining.

In the end, we went about 11 miles in around 45 minutes.  That sounds sad, but we got a little lost and spent a while at a conveniently-placed map debating how to best go about getting to where we wanted to be (him: further out. me: home, in pajamas, on the couch).  It was a fun ride though, in spite of the cold. And I never once regretted wearing that ridiculously warm vest. Not even a little.

3 comments:

  1. I love that vest. It looks so warm and happy.

    I got some bike shorts in my clothing exchange yesterday, which means I have ZERO excuse to go biking now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Pirates" was fun. Not Shakespeare, but who was really expecting that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... I want to ride my bicycle... but it is raining all the time in Utah! I have no rain gear. Lame. Nice socks though.

    ReplyDelete